Cooking a Perfect Ear of Corn


I was looking for a definitive answer on how to cook the world's greatest corn on the cob. Googling the question brought me a million different answers. I had no idea who to believe or which method to start with. Then it occurred to me, what do you do when you want to cook the best sweet corn? You ask someone who really knows about sweet corn. Well, where do they really know about sweet corn? Iowa, of course! So that is exactly what I did. I went to the source of the matter. I got myself a lesson from a good friend of mine who grew up in Iowa. And let me tell you something, it was the most worthwhile lesson I have ever gotten.

Not only is this method fast and super easy. I have now repeated the method about a dozen times and had perfect, delicious, kernel popping, sweet corn each time! I was surprised at how easy it is to get a perfectly cooked ear of corn. Want to know the insider secrets? Alright, here it is...

-Husk corn and remove silk
-Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove. You want to have enough room and water for your ears of corn to float freely in the pot.
-Carefully, drop corn into boiling water (unfortunately, this is a warning from experience.)
-Cover with lid and boil for exactly 6 minutes.
-At the end of six minutes your corn should have a strong corn smell and the color will have deepened.

That's it! Perfect corn every time!

*One last fantastic insider tip. If you get a batch of corn that isn't as sweet as you would like, add a little sugar to the boiling water before dropping in the corn. It'll sweeten your ears right up.

Photobucket