Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe


When I was newly married we had a Back-2-School themed church activity. We were served food on cafeteria style disposable plates and the main course was Sloppy Joes. I had never been a fan of sloppy joes, I was still young enough to have vivid memories of real cafeteria sloppy joes that smelled more like Fido's lunch than something I should be eating. But when I took that first bite at the church activity I was a sloppy joe convert. I begged for the recipe and it became a staple meal in my cooking rotation. I like it because it doesn't have that greasy taste of typical sloppy joes and absolutely doesn't stink. It tastes like real food and it is even better topped with shredded cheese, but what isn't better with cheese?

Sloppy Joe Recipe
1 lb extra lean ground beef or turkey
2 cans tomato soup
2 cans chicken gumbo soup

Brown meat in skillet. Add all four cans of soup and simmer, the longer it simmers the better it is, but just warming it through is sufficient if you are in a rush. Serve over hamburger buns and top with shredded cheddar cheese. It's easy and it's good!

This recipe is ideal for multiplying and serving a large crowd. It can also be simmered in the crockpot... again, the longer the better. I like this meal for summer eating, because it does not require the use of the oven. But, believe me it is also warm and comforting and filling enough for a cool winter evening.

Photobucket