Painting Laminate Countertops

(Kitchen After Mini Makeover)

I got frustrated with my kitchen. It is horribly small and it was horribly outdated. We have a portable dishwasher with a laminate top on it and our counters were a different laminate we also have a microwave stand that we use for counterspace that had another laminate on it, all different versions of fake wood. It needed updating... look!

(Kitchen Before)

Painting was the solution I came up with. I wish that a new kitchen was in the budget, but there is just no way. After pulling up many Internet articles about laminate painting and sending my family away for the weekend, I decided I was ready to take on the task. I took a deep breath and headed to the hardware store to buy paint. $60 later I was ready to makeover my counters.

Supplies needed for Painting Laminate Countertops
180 Grit Sandpaper
Oil Based Primer (I used Kilz)
3 quarts of oil based paint in different colors
1 quart of oil based polyurethane
Paper Towels

*Sand all counter surfaces
*Prime counter with 2 coats of oil based primer
*Dab on other paint colors in a random pattern using crumbled paper towels and slightly blending as you go
*Apply 5-7 coats of Polyurethane allowing to dry 2 hours between coats

At one point in the process, I didn't like the look at all, so I painted the whole thing in my lightest color and started dabbing again this time I was much happier.

I love the results! Lets look at the before and after again...

(Before


(After)





Now, I can't wait to get a backsplash up. I couldn't have asked for a more dramatic or cheaper change in my kitchen. I feel like my kitchen has gotten a whole new life and it really wasn't hard! It took me a weekend of work. I was scared to start this project, but I am so glad I did it!

Photobucket