Chicken and Rice


I realize there is nothing innovative or original about chicken and rice, but it is a crowd pleaser, it is easy and it is a one dish meal. It is a go-to meal for those nights when mom doesn't really feel like cooking and when I don't want to have to convince anyone to eat heartily.

So, even though there are a million versions of this dish available in nearly every cookbook, I thought I'd share with you how I make it. It is delicious and I think I make it the cheapest and easiest way possible.

Chicken and Rice
2 chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tbs Lawry's Season Salt
3 cups uncooked white long grain rice
5 cups water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Heat olive oil in a large skillet that has a lid. Add chicken and season salt to oil and cook over medium heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked and brown on the outsides. Stir in rice, water and soup. Bring to boil. Cover and allow to cook over low heat for 20 minutes completely undisturbed. At the end of the 20 minutes turn the burner off and top with cheese, recover and allow to sit an additional 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.

This meal is easy and delicious, just what a busy mom needs!
Photobucket