Homemade Goo


We have great summers at our house. Lots of activities and outings and we try really hard to focus on all things that are kid approved and kid fun. I believe that rules, structure, and activities make for a smooth-"er" experience for all of us while we spend so much together time. However, occasionally, so much together time can cause for some little rough patches where not everyone is everyone else's best friend... My kids really do get along well, but from time to time they get sick of each other and feelings get a little tender. We had one of these moments last week. I mediated the issue and realized that a little more was needed, we needed a happy distraction. Thankfully, I was inspired and my mind immediately went back to a post I had seen on New Nostalgia for Homemade slime. I pulled up the information and THREE minutes later we had some completely distracted and happy children.

My children decided that they prefer to call this "Homemade Goo." It was so easy to make, it was completely ready for them to play with in less than three minutes and they thought it was one of the greatest things we have ever done! I made them two batches and my two girls played with it for a 3 1/2 hour stretch of time and then got it out again and played with it again the next day. It completely saved the day and I will keep the idea at the top of my list for a great distraction activity.

Homemade Goo Recipe
2 mixing bowls
Warm water
White School Glue
4 to 8 drops liquid food coloring
Borax

Mix together 1/3 cup warm water and  1/2 cup of school glue with food coloring. In a separate bowl mix 3/4 cups of warm water with 2 Tbs of Borax. Pour the Borax mixture into the glue mixture stirring rapidly and continuously. Remove the glob of slime and kneed for 2 minutes.

Store in a ziploc bag.

Enjoy the hours of peace and quiet while your children enjoy this simple concoction!

(Because of the Borax in this, I warned my children to keep this completely away from their mouths!)

Photobucket