DIY: Coat and Hat Hook Rails


Our little house doesn't have a coat closet. With six people, I got extremely tired of having coats and sweaters strewn around the house. I started looking for a Coat and Hat Hook Rail to hang on an unused stretch of wall behind the front door. I quickly realized that this was not going to be an easy task. The rails I found that were the size I was seeking were all about $20, and I needed two of them. I also found that the hooks were all really close together, I didn't think that was such a good idea for children hanging large snow jackets.

After looking for a couple months, I began a discussion with my husband about the possibility of him making me two coat and hat hook rails. He decided that this would be an easy project and went about creating them for me. He started with a long piece of wood that was 1/2 " X 2 ". He cut this board into two pieces that were each two feet long. He routered the edges with a very simple bit, painted them white, then drilled holes in them and mounted four evenly spaced double hooks on each board. Each rail is attached to the wall with two sunken anchors.

This Coat and Hat Hook Rail is PERFECT. The total cost of doing the project ourselves was less than $15, a big DIY savings. If you don't have the ability to saw and router your own wood, your local home improvement warehouse store will make simple cuts for you when you purchase a piece of wood. Then you can have a simple unroutered version with just some paint and a drill, and that is a DIY project anyone can do.

And just like that my issue of not having a coat closet has been solved!
Photobucket