Homemade Granola Recipe


My wonderful mother-in-law created this fantastically easy granola recipe. I've tried others, but have always returned to this one. It is easy, has convenient ingredients and tastes so good. I try to keep some made up at all times. The recipe is versatile so each time I make it, I will add something different.


Originally, she created this recipe to be sugar-free. I have made it both with Splenda and with regular granulated sugar, it tastes equally delicious both ways.

Homemade Granola Recipe
4 cups rolled oats
4 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup coconut (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 cup Splenda or Sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sliced almonds or walnuts (optional)

Mix all ingredients together until moistened. Spread on large cookie sheet. Bake on low heat (225 degrees) for 2 hours(or longer, mine usually takes about 2.5 hours) turning every 30 minutes. Stir in other ingredients like raisins, or dried bananas, as desired Store in airtight container with tight lid.

*I have tried mixing my raisins in before baking and for some reason the raisins become bitter. It is much better to mix them in after the granola is baked.

**To achieve "clumpier" granola turn it a little more gingerly at the 30 minute marks.

This granola is a fantastic addition to Homemade Yogurt, is nutritious and very simple to make.

Photobucket