Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yogurt


I make loads of homemade ice cream for my family every year. It is so much cheaper than buying ice cream and it is so much tastier. Since, starting to make homemade yogurt this year, I have been planning that this would be the summer of homemade "fro yo!"

As soon as the weather got warm enough to put me in the mood for running the ice cream maker, I got busy making some homemade strawberry frozen yogurt using my homemade yogurt recipe. It turned out awesome delicious!

Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe (6 Quarts)
3 Quarts Plain Yogurt
4 1/2 cups sliced and pureed strawberries
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 cups whipping cream

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Mix in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. (recipe adapted from Rival cookbook)

This is delicious! It is sweet and tart and tangy. Because I made this with Fat Free yogurt and the recipe calls for very little sugar, this yogurt does freeze up hard. To serve, I've found that if I microwave it on high for 30 seconds, it softens it enough to be servable.

I also love that I don't have to feel incredibly guilty about enjoying this "healthy-er" frozen treat... and it's cheap to make to boot!

(If you have a smaller ice cream freezer, please let me know, I'd be happy to provide the 4 Quart or 5 Quart versions of this recipe)

Photobucket